Saturday, November 25, 2006

It's been a while

It’s been a while since I posted last. I’m working on a 5-person group project right now and only 1 ½ of the people are working. Those 1 ½ people have to pick up the work for those that aren’t. It’s frustrating. In addition to this, I’ve been doing a lot of reflecting.

It’s been a while since I’ve lived in CA. I’ve lived in Rexburg for the last 20 months. Prior to that I lived in Oregon for nearly 6 months. Prior to that I lived in Rexburg for 6 months. That’s nearly 3 years. Yet I will soon leave Rexburg for CA. I’m going to live in CA for about 3 ½ months before returning to Rexburg to graduate in July. (Assuming a lot of things like that I pass Com 235, that I then pass Com 335, Assuming that I don’t get accepted to USU and then have to decide what to do with my life after that – go to USU or Stay at BYU-I, assuming I don’t freak out in CA and join a cult of anti college freaks.)

I have a hard time remembering what it feels like to live in CA. I have been in small towns and farming communities for 2 ½ years. Slow moving, relaxing days floating down the river or sledding down the hillsides; “normal” people who show up to job interviews in slacks or at least their best overalls; “normal” people who aren’t pierced and tattooed to the extreme; Idaho politics that involves water rights and elk hunting. I’m leaving this to go “home” to CA to a different life.

It’s been a while since I was home for a major holiday. I haven’t spent a November thanksgiving with a family member since 2003, which was at KNJ’s place and my father and John came. I haven’t spent a Christmas or birthday in CA since 2004 (last year I spent it with Steve). Lastly, I haven’t worked in a theatre in over 2 years. In other words, everything I used to really enjoy has changed. It’s been a while since I was CA Sean.

It’s been a while since I was on my mission, but I still remember it. My mission was from Sept 22 1999 to Jan 12 2000. I served for an additional 3 months (Apr 9) on my couch before receiving an official release from the church. But it is now, back in 99, which I was in Tucson. During the summer I met a girl over myspace who lived in Tucson. She lives just outside my old area boundaries. While discussing with her where she lived, we used Google Maps. I found my old area and saw an aerial view of my old area (it seemed bigger when I was on a bike.) That brought back a lot of good memories. Now days I support the mission effort by writing to 8 missionaries serving through out the US (MN, NM, CA, OH & Chicago, IL) and the world (Brazil, Taiwan & Portugal). As I write to them and occasionally hear back from them, I think back to that time in my life 7 years ago. I look at the Sean that existed back in 1999. The summer Brother and Sister were married in, the mission call, and then leaving. In 2000 I met John. I met KNJ in 2002. My mother died in 2003. I left for ID in April 2004. KJN and I said our final good byes in November 2004. And then now. I look at the person I was in 1999 and who I am now. In some areas I’m a better person. In other’s, I’m worse. Nothing stayed the same, not even my hair.

Like I said, I’ve been in a reflective mood lately. Sorry

No comments:

Post a Comment