Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Squirels

So I don't think there is any one local that reads this, so I'm pretty safe in writing this.

Today I came home from my internship to find out the power was out. RR told me that he heard a loud pop and that the power went out. I was kind of curious if it was a transformer (I once saw one of those explode in Oakland). So RR, TN, & DA went outside to check. Lying next to an electrical pole is a very fried squirell. Up on the top of the pole is a little converter thing with a patch of hair attached to it. I think I know how we lost the power.

Now anyone else would have just went "oh how sad" and walked away. Nope. Not my roommates. One of them immeadately grabbed a piece of newspaper and grabbed the carcus by the tail and took it in to the apartments above. (I refused to go, but I sent my camera along.)

about three hours later, DA went up to the guys in that apartment to remind them of the football game tonight (that I'm not playing in because I just barely healed from the last one). DA asked them about the squirell sitting in their trash. MR responded that they just found it there. They think that the animal crwaled in through a window, ate something and died. (And I thought my roommates were horrible cooks) When they through out the trash, one of my roommates grabbed the dead squirell and took it to another's place to leave it there as well.

I love living with my roommates. They make life so interesting.

On a different note, it snowed for 6 hours today. I hope the weather is better where ever you are.

6 comments:

  1. by the way, i know there are mis spelled words. For some reason, Blogger's spell checker doesn't work on campus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was out on a date with my now husband, he pointed to this creature running up a tree and asked, "What is that?!?!?!" "Ummm...it's a squirrel," was my reply. Apparently they don't have squirrels in Hawaii. Who the heck doesn't know what a squirrel is? But then again, when we were in Hawaii, I had the same question about a mongoose running across the road.

    Squirrels will forever remind me of the grassy area behind Thrifty's in Fremont. My mom and I used to buy icecream from Thrifty's, then eat it in that grassy area and feed the bottom of our cones to the squirrels. There's never icecream in the bottom of the cones, so they're no good for eating anyways. lol

    Anyways, there you have my random squirrel memories. Oh, and boys are gross...who the heck picks up a dead squirrel?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch, snow? I thought our weather was bad. Olivia loves the squirrels, but the little bastards keep digging up my plants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If we're going to start sharing squirell stories, I've got this one from my first year at BYU-Idaho. It was in October of 2004, when KNJ came to visit me. This woud be her one and only visit to Rexburg.

    I had her staying at Carosel Court with my FHE sisters. That day, one of the sisters had watched as a squirell had fallen out of a tree. Dumb Dumb Dumb, she went over and picked it up and brought it back to the apartment to tend to it. It was a new born squirell, so it hadn't have even open it's eyes yet. When these 5 girls were sitting around "tending" to it when I brought KNJ over to meet them and to put her stuff there while we went for a walk.
    Growing up in San Leandro, KNJ had raised several rats from birth, so she knew exactly how to care for this baby squirell. KNJ's first night in rexburg was spent taking me to Wal-mart and buying supplies to help feed and nurture this baby squirell. My FHE sisters were so appreciative for KNJ's help.
    KNJ taught them how to help the animal to urinate as well. KNJ suggested using a Q-tip to stimulate the genitalia to pee. Well, by the time KNJ was ready to leave, to return to Provo, the little guy wasn't peeing yet, so one of my FHE sisters decided to do it manually. She used her finger to stimulate the genitalia of this little squirell. The Squirell peed all over her. Ha Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sick.

    I was about to say i didn't have a squirell story, except i do.

    For a couple of semesters my apartment in Carriage house had a Pet Squirell named Chip. Every now and again he'd come visit us and we'd feed him pecans and goldfish crackers. One time we got him to run into the apartment- but not for very long, he ran in, grabbed the nut and ran out. He did get so he'd eat the food our of our hands, though.

    What is it with college students not caring about rabies and other diseases?! geemanie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness... I am in tears laughing so hard just reading this... this is unbelievable. oh well, I do know that squirrels love green and vine ripened tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete