Wednesday, April 12, 2006

i won an IPOD

Okay, technically, I didn't win it. My dad won it. Well - Guess that's not technically true either. In January my father was at a computer and media conference in Las Vegas. While he was there he ventured into the Tivo booth and entered a contest for a FREE Tivo. He won.

Tivo sent my father a $300 Tivo box. My father doesn't even have cable. He get's only the local channels and only really watches Amazing Race. I do have cable, but for the most part, the only time I watch TV is when my roommates leave it on. I'd rather be on my computer. So father decided to send the $300 one to my Brother, and have brother send me the one brother already has that is a bit out dated. However, after much discussion, brother decided to keep both. At this point - brother and I are just fine. But sis and dad decided that I needed to share some how in the winning prize. So father told brother to send me a check. Brother asked for a suggested total and I suggested 5 cents. This only frustrated sister and father. So I agreed to accept up to $100.

Breaking from the story for a second, in March of 2005, while living in Oregon, my cd player in my truck died. The radio still works and the aux inlet still works, but it won't play CD's. So for all of my trips I'm stuck listening to the radio or playing CD's on a portable player using the Aux inlet (and they usually skip). Knowing that I have a 16 hour trip coming in just 1 week (Woohoo!!) I was pondering what to do with those areas of Nevada that get no radio. About the time I was pondering this - two signifigant events happened:

1. I got a $100 check from Sis.
2. They fired one of my co-workers for being a jerk and doubled my hours.

So I decided to buy an IPOD. I see them everywhere on campus and in town. Two of my roommates own them. So I bought a cheap IPOD Shuffle. Shipping was free (It came from China, to Alaska, to Tennessee to my Rexburg doorstep - all in 4 days) and tax was $4.00. So it cost me $103 total, minus my Tivo money - A IPOD for just $3.00. Awesome.

Now I can cross the Sierras with no listening hassles. Woohoo. I just love winning.

5 comments:

  1. Your brother will be proud, money well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you'll have to let me know how you enjoy it, i've been pondering over a purchase of this sort recently... i just have to decide for sure if or what i want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to you, your brother and his wonderful wife for a good solution.

    I really love the sirius radio they got me. Constant radio in the house and in the car even in the middle of nowhere. For those that have never driven in the USA west of the Missippi river, there really is a LOT of empty space where the scenary changes very little and all the radio stations are fed from the same satilite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know my brother would be proud - but how about my sister. I told her I was going to buy clothes with it. Sure you can wear an IPOD, but not as appealing as me being clothed in new jeans.

    That said, if my paycheck is big enough, I'm going to have my father take me to Costco so I can get 4 new pairs of jeans. My last pair bought from there lasted 4 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma has an iPod. I...errr, I mean she...loves it. Definitely money well spent!

    The radio in our old car didn't work for 3 years. That sucked.

    I buy Drake the Ralph Lauren jeans from Costco. They last forever. Although, the Kirkland brand also seem to last forever. RL just fit him better.

    ReplyDelete