Friday, June 29, 2007

Phone interviewing

I'm not sure how this works, but I'm in the process of starving and wanting to throw-up. It's been nearly 10 years since I did a phone interview. The last time was to work for a market research company that did surveys over the phone. The pay was $7.50 an hour, I was living with my parents, and I had no debt.

I woke up this morning thinking how cool it was to be in a phone interview. I could wear shorts and a T-shirt while interviewing for a job that would affect the rest of my life (get a job in Boise, settle in Boise, live out the rest of the next 5 years of my life in Boise OR not get a job in Boise, move to CA, become a special education teacher, and live in CA for the next 4 years of my life....). However, what I didn't think of was the bent up energy that comes from being interviewed. I was pacing up and down my room and the hallway trying to respond to each question. I know I screwed up on at least one question (How will Ada county Sheriff's department benefit from having you as an employee?) , but I think I handled the other well.

There were three rounds of questions from three separate people. The first came from a sergeant in the sheriff's department. He was asking me the same questions they asked me in the supplemental questionnaire. These questions were fairly easy because I've never done a bad thing in my life. I've never had a speeding ticket. I've never transported, taken, manufactured or done anything with a drug. I've never done drugs, that was the job of all of my friends in high school and junior college. I'm a goody too-shoes. The only thing I had to answer yes to was "Have you ever been a defendant in a civil suit?" Yup. I sued three insurance companies three years ago and they counter sued me.

The second round of questions were directed at my office practices and my life goals and my dedication to the program, work history, etc. Of course I flew through these as well.( expect for that previous screwed up question.) I've always quit companies. I've never been fired. I've never been disciplined. I'm a model employee.

The third set of questions dealt with programs - addiction recovery programs. I think I handled myself okay in this area. I knew enough about 12-step programs, cognitive change programs, and trigger programs that I could manage.

Depending on what they are looking for, I'm a little under qualified for this position. I think that is the most vomit producing part of this. I've always walked into jobs over qualified for the position I was applying for. On more than one occasion, I actually told the employer ways to improve their business because I knew more than they did. This is the first time I'm walking in with a limited knowledge. I have one sociology class and one 4-month long internship as my experience and education. Yes, I've worked the LDS 12-steps for nearly 4 years, but I have found in the world of addiction, the LDS program is not up to par with the rest of the world.

Either way, this has been a nerve racking experience. I'll be just happy returning to an in-person interview any day now.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like your interview was overall pretty good, though. Good job, and Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete