Sunday, October 26, 2008

the need for dragons

A recent post from Cindy got me thinking about dragons and our need for dragons. I know that in the scriptures we read that there is a need for opposition in all things. We must have sorrow with happiness. We must have angry people and peacemakers. We must have Christ and Lucifer. But I'm intrigued by the concept of a dragon. In so much fairy tale literature, we see a dragon that rears up it's ugly head and is the cause of much destruction in the land before eventually a knight in shiny steel is able to ride up and slaughter the beast.

As I've pondered this, I've had two thoughts that have reoccurred. The first is the that we have dragons to remind us that little guys can beat out bigger than life problems. Dragons are our mythical version of Goliath. We are David. Dragons have a way of coming into a peaceful situation and causing chaos. Many people allow the dragon to affect them and to beat them. A lot of people don't have the courage or gumption to stand up to the dragon and beat it. Instead they flee or are destroyed. They allow the dragon this privileged. And then comes a savior. He rides in and does what no one else could do and slaughters the fire breathing beast. He is the calm that brings with himself calm. Where there isn't peace, He leaves His peace. And this reminds us to have courage to do even as he has done. We are encouraged to take on the dragons in our lives after watching someone else be victorious.

The other thought I had about why we need dragons was a way to be humbled. Dragons often come to the villages that are prospering. They come and they burn and they eat and they trample on the crops of those wealthy farmers and the farmers are left with nothing. When people are left with nothing (and are nothing like me) they often turn to God. We read in the Book of Mormon that the Lamanites were a tool to humble the people of Nephi. When the Nephites got too prosperous or too stuck on themselves, the Lamanites would suddenly show up on the out skirts of the kingdom and start destroying people's crops and lives. People would then flee to their judges and their prophets and beg for help. Those judges and prophets would then tell the people to repent and the prophet would call upon God to know what should be done next. Inspiration was given and the Lamanites were destroyed. A prophet rode up on his horse and defeated the dragon. And by listening to that knight, the residents were saved. But they first had to be humbled to be reminded that they needed a prophet. There was a saying in my old high school - we all hated the police until we actually needed one. Prophets, sometimes, feel the same way I bet. No one really listens to them until a dragon rears it's ugly head and then, at that moment, all eyes and ears are there ready to listen and obey.

I never thought I would be thankful for a dragon, but i'm grateful to the dragons that both humble me and remind me that even though the dragons in my life seem fierce, I can beat them - with the help of my Saviour.

(Dragons in the scriptures)

No comments:

Post a Comment