Friday, October 17, 2008

Prop 8

Brentwood, CA

It turns out there are 12 propositions in CA for this election. I didn't know about 11 of them, because I have heard more about this single prop than any other. I won't comment on how I'm voting but I do want to comment on how sad this picture makes me. When I was in high school you could debate with people and still be friends. Now politics has gotten so mean spirited. Someone could have just as easily put a "No on Prop 8" lawn advertisement next to or even in front of this one that is Yes. But instead they chose to deface it. And it's not just the "No's" that are doing this. North of me, over the weekend, a bunch of "No on Prop 8" banners were destroyed by over zealous Yes folk. Why is this? Why can't we just agree to disagree? Why do we need to get to the point where we vandalize other people's property simply because we don't agree with them? I know children that are better at acting like adults than some of these people. So tonight I would ask - grow up. You're adults. Act like it. Stop vandalizing other people's signs just because you don't agree with their point of view. Instead of vandalizing - try voting. It is a lot more effective.

2 comments:

  1. Prop 8 is a very divisive, emotional issue pitting a few religions against a multi-cultural, secular society.

    Many non-religious people deeply resent what they see as the religions forcing their minority views on a larger society (although many people are "religious" most are not very active about it). This is particularly acute in California where white people are actually a "minority" amongst many other ethnic and social minorities.

    Another aspect of the Prop 8 situation is the huge number of non-Californians that are trying to influence the vote by contributing millions of dollars and thousands of hours of phone bank time. Some people deeply resent the intrusion.

    The good news is the election will be over in 18 days, then the whole thing can be re-fought in the courts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I totally agree with you. What happened to the days when people could just agree to disagree?

    ReplyDelete