Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Anniversary

I've gotten some questions on what anniversary I celebrated last Saturday.

I want to start out with some background. I have hard time keeping to stuff and completing stuff. It took me about five years to complete my Associate Degree. It took me three years to get my BS and I'm not even done. I have SOOOO much more schooling to go. I got my eagle scout degree 3 hours before I turned 18 and only because I had a massive about of help and pressure for the last 6 weeks of my 17th year.

Even though I worked Pageant for 10 years, I must have quit at least once every year I participated in it.

Simply put, I often quit stuff and I don't accomplish stuff. This year has turned out to be one year that I've managed to accomplish a lot (internship, BS, photo a day, keeping to commitments to friends and family), but that is not usual for me.

Okay, that said, Ten years ago I made a choice that has been hard to keep but I've managed to keep for ten years.

On July 7, 1997, I made a promise to God that the next time I had sex, I would be married. Say what you want about my religious beliefs and how sex outside of marriage is or is not wrong. Putting all that aside, I made a commitment and kept to it. No matter how frustrated, depressed, angry or stressed I have been in the past, and knowing how good sex feels in relieving stress, depression, anger or frustrations - I didn't once go back on my promise to God. I didn't go back even though I thought long ago I'd be married (when I made the promise I thought it would only be 2-4 years before I was married).

July 7, 2007 was my ten year mark. I have successfully kept to at least one promise, one commitment.

To celebrate I went back to a place that holds sentimental value to me (my father and I went there for the first time 4 years ago. It was the beginning of a stronger relationship with my father). I went to Yellowstone to celebrate.

So, yeah - that's the anniversary I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment