Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Goodie Goodie Gum Drop

"What is it good for/Absolutely nothing/Uh-huh" - Rush Hour

"Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives; some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don't." - Mary Schmich

I often read on a friend's blog that she inspires people. Random people will read a post of hers (anything from struggling with a lifetime illness to creating Christmas presents to blowing up food in her oven) and they will write in her comments, "You inspire me." I used to get that occasionally on my old blog,and reading her's reminds me of a question that I always had:

What do I inspire you to do? What does Cindy inspire people to be?

President Hinckley had said several times "It is not enough to be good. You must be good for something. You must contribute good to the world. The world must be a better place for your presence." Are we inspiring good?

I struggle a lot with the idea that I must be good for something. At BYU-Idaho I had 18 different declared majors. Each major was something I could be good at, but I wondered if it was something where I would be doing good. I never answered that question at BYUI. I'm still not sure I have that answer now.

In my P - Blessing it says to pray and ponder over my occupation so that I will know the service I am to provide. Service - not goods. (As we all remember from high school senior econ - the world is made up of goods and services. Apparently God grants me to do service.) I often wonder what service I am to do. There are four grad school programs I am considering: Physical therapy, Occupational therapy, Rehabilitation Counseling, and Marriage and Family Counselor. I wonder where I can provide the best service, where I can not only be good, but be good for something. Where I can inspire greatness, despite my limitations. I'm not necessarily looking for a legacy, but I want to do what I can do to better serve and give service to those around me.

Next semester I'm taking Abnormal Psych because it is required for all of those. Maybe, once I'm done with that class - I'll know better what to do with my debt to society - the debt of goodness. Maybe, I'll inspire once more and maybe I'll be inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment