Thursday, November 20, 2008

Sending in others - for their experience

There is a story told of a man who was commanded by God to go push up against a mountain. So the man did just that. Each day he would wake up and go push on the mountain. After a few weeks, Lucifer came to cause stress. He taunted the man by saying "You have failed. You haven't moved the mountain one bit. God must be disappointed in you. Couldn't you have been a better servant." And on and on Satan said. Eventually the man started listening. He stopped pushing against the mountain and he prayed to God saying he was sorry for failing. God replied by saying "Who said anything about moving it.I am God. If I wanted it moved, I can do that myself. I told you to push against it. In a few days your father-in-law will get sick and he will need someone to take over the farm. A few weeks ago you wouldn't have the strength to tend the farm, but look at you now: You are strong and able."

While in Liberty Jail, Joseph Smith prayed and asked the Lord about the hardships he was enduring. The Lord responds in section 122 of the Doctrine and Covenants "...know thou, my son, that all of these things shall give thee experience and shall be for thy good."

I have been pondering experience lately. Keeping with my new rule that I can't buy any more books until I have read what is on my shelf (which sucks because I really want this book), I have been reading a book recently about four kids and a lion. Three of the kids aligned their will with that of the talking lion. The fourth kid temporarily aligned his will with a white witch that has evil powers. However, when the fourth kid decided he wanted to go back to the lion's side, he was taken prisoner by the witch and she's going to crucify the boy. The lion knows this, but he doesn't go himself, even though "one of those paws could have been the death of [the witch]" or "one bite from his jaws would have cost two or three of [the witch's cronies] their hands." Instead he calls upon a few of the other less powerful allies to go and rescue the boy.

In "Preach my Gospel" we read a quote by Harold B Lee "Missionary work is but home teaching to those who are not members of the church, and home teaching is nothing more or less than missionary work to church members." For anyone who knows anything about Mormon Missionaries - they are far from perfect people. It would be much easier for Jesus Christ to come down and show Himself than it is to get imperfect people to teach about Him. So what good is it? The good comes from experience.

After a super long introduction, my point on this post is: I wonder what times in my life have been for my experience? How many times have I been called as a home teacher because I needed the experience, and not that the family needed a home teacher. How many times have I been placed in a refiner's fire by the Master Teacher for no other purpose but to give me experience. I wonder how many times the Lord could have come down and done the job Himself, but instead He sent me so that I could gain experience. Cindy's Mom made a similar statement in her post from a little while ago. Sometimes - we need these experiences. Both the good and the bad. We, as imperfects need these bad experiences to help shape us for the better.

Today I received another letter from my Melinda. (She didn't send me any leaves, but I bet she still loves me). She talks about how much she can't stand her current companion. In her first area she got along better with her companion but they were in a bit of a drought when it came to finding people wanting to hear their message of peace. Now she is in an area with much success and work, but is with this sister she can't stand. In recent weeks we have been discussing how much we wonder what these experiences will be for in the future? I have little doubt that, like me, she is experiencing a refiner's fire for her good. I hope she is better than me at standing the flame.

No comments:

Post a Comment