Monday, January 19, 2009

Being Patient even with Lucifer

"Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself." - 2Nephi 2:27

"Get thee hence Satan." St. Matthew 4:1-11

On Sunday in Gospel Principles class, we were studying the third chapter "Jesus Christ, Our Chosen Leader and Savior." The teacher decided that instead of writing down a list of Christlike attributes (because we could do that by going to page 12 in this manual), what she wanted us to do was to write read various stories about Christ and talk about what we learn about Christ from these stories. One story we read was of Christ fasting in the wilderness. After 40 days and 40 nights Christ emerged and Satan was there to tempt. Satan tempts several times before eventually Christ sends Satan on his way. Cindy asked: What did we learn about Christ?

Several people mentioned Christ's ability to resist temptation. I saw a different attribute.

Before the worlds were created we were all spiritual children of our Heavenly Father. (Who loved us as we loved him). In that pre-mortal realm we were all give our agency to choose good or evil. As we know from a whole host of scriptures, a division occurred in heaven and one third of the host of heaven CHOSE to side with Lucifer. As far as I understand the scriptures - even Lucifer still has the ability to choose.

When it came my turn I mentioned that this passage in St Matthew showed Jesus Christ being patient and not taking away Lucifer's chose to tempt or not to tempt. Christ patiently waited as Lucifer tempted and tempted again. It wasn't until the third temptation, the third time Satan chose to be a tempter, that Christ turned to him and told him to go. I think that shows a lot of patience. I know in my life I'm very impatient with Lucifer and would like him gone as soon as he arrives. So to patiently wait for him to have ample opportunity to let Satan express his resolve to continue to choose to be a tempter - I think that shows some good patience on the part of Jesus Christ.

I only share this because everyone in the class said that they had never thought that way before and that they liked my example. I think it is important to share when you receive knew knowledge, I hope you don't mind me sharing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment