Wednesday, February 18, 2009

left over paint

Oakland, CA

For the past 40 years the Oakland InterStake Center has hosted a pageant called "And it Came to Pass." I worked for the show for ten years on crew rising the the rank of Assistant Tech Director. In 2008 the LDS Church announced they were suspending pageant, and then eventually decided to cancel it. Recently, the Church headquarters came and took the costumes and a lot of the equipment. Now the crew on Temple Hill are responsible for sorting and organizing what wasn't taken to Salt Lake. Tonight we fininshed working on organizing a storage room. After that was done, we started seeing what paint should be kept. For every color we kept we threw away twice as many. We had a lot of paint that was moldy and chuncky. Some of the paint was bought 40 years ago.

Interesting to me only, I was given a new title tonight. About 5 years ago I discovered that I didn't really like running theatre shows - but I loved working on theatre projects. Tonight my tech director mentioned that I'm on the "Special Projects Team." I only come into work on the projects going on in the background and not the shows that come through. I like that idea.

4 comments:

  1. So it's officially cancelled forever now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure we could start it again - all we need is a new set (in salt Lake now), new costumes (in Salt Lake now), new make-up (in Salt Lake now), a new barricade [i.e. dressing rooms] (in Milpitas now), a script (Salt Lake has decided that "And it Came to Pass" is now to be put in a vault somewhere), and the approval of the first presidency. Beyond those few items I don't see why we couldn't resurect it. We've got the lighting system, sound system, improved fly rail system, a "professional" band, a "professional" dance troop, and a bunch of people that think they know how to sing. All we need is a script. Heck we even got paint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do know you just can't trow paint away in the trash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not my problem. The church will need to dispose of the paint. I was just assigned to sort it.

    ReplyDelete