Monday, February 20, 2006

the Banana

It's long. It's skinny. It's often used as a sexual teaser (as in girls shoving it into their mouths). And it tastes like crap. That's right - I ate my first banana.

On Thursday I went to the produce department and talked to the head produce guy. I explained my situation (of never having eaten a banana as a kid.) and asked for his advice. He found a banana for me to eat. 17 cents. I took it home. I wasn't sure if you were supposed to wash it, like an apple, strawberry, or Orange (I've had each of those in the past BTW). So I washed the banana. Then I cracked it as the produce guy had shown me and I peeled back the outer shell.

Let's break for a moment. When I was four, brother was six. He was taking a bath when I came into use the toilet. For some reason, he said something to me and I turned to look at him, as did my body. Brother got a mouth full of yellow disgusting pee in him. He quickly spit it out and chased after me and beat me up.

I share that because 23 years later I feel his pain. I got a mush of yellow digusting banana flesh in my mouth. I almost barfed after the first bite but tried two others just to be sure. I'm sure now - Banana's are yucky. It happened to be I had some dried banana's on hand as well. I tried these and thought they were absolutely yummy. I also know from past experience that I like banana bread. So not all bananas are bad, just the one's fresh off the vine (or tree, or where ever else they come from).

This action was followed by today. I was in my store talking to my boss when I saw a presenter giving out sushi. I am feeling adventurous so I walked up and got some. (Thankfully it was some Asian kid with tattoos all over himself. If it were that 85 year old woman licking her lips at me...I don't think I would have even picked up the sushi.)
In stead of raw fish, it had crab in it. I have never had shell fish before. Evidently I'm not alergic to it (which is good because I was driving by the time I figured out that I should have waited before I ate that...It'd suck to go into shock while driving). The sushi wasn't that bad. The kid gave me some sushi, some soy sause, some green thing he said was spicy hot, and some ginger to "clease [my] pallet" I skipped the soy sause and the green thing. The sushi was a piece of crab, some rice, something else and it was all wrapped in this seaweed like shell. It tasted good. I wouldn't make a meal out of it, but it was a nice treat.

But then again, as long as it wasn't a banana, I don't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment