Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Travesty adverted

I love real Donuts. I'm not sure how we lucked out in life, but my family grew up near a donut store that made real donuts. They didn't use imitation materials or skimp on the good stuff. No - instead they made honest donuts that taste good.

For several years, my brother worked at that donut store, bringing home fresh donuts. When I was old enough to drive I would make frequent trips on my way home from seminary to go to that donut store. When my mom was having surgeries (which was pretty often growing up), she would have me sneak her in donuts from our family favorite donut store into the hospital rooms she was in. (She loved the maple bars.)

I start with that so that you will understand how tragic Idaho was. Rexburg does not have a donut store. So I was left to eat donuts from the grocery store that just weren't up to par. Then I moved to Antioch and there aren't any donut stores near by. I was definitely going through donut withdrawal.

Thankfully, last Tuesday (the 12th) I found a donut store that is on my way to work. Even better, their donuts almost taste as good as the donuts from my childhood. So for three straight days I had donuts for breakfast. It was like being in heaven - except for two small problems:
1. I'm trying to lose weight.
2. I was unemployed for 6 months - I have a lot of debt to pay back.

So imagine my great happiness (and a little sadness) when the new highway bypass opened up. With the new freeway extension, not only do I save 5 minutes off my commute, but I don't even come close to the donut store. I literally have to drive out of my way to get the donuts. So now I can only buy donuts when I'm running early for work. Travesty adverted. No huge donut debt. No additional fattening of Sean. But still close enough so that when I need comfort food, it's right there waiting for me to get beautiful mouth satisfying donuts.

5 comments:

  1. if we have a job when u come to visit us, we will have donuts for you from the Orem Krispe Kremes... and you're in luck since in utah donuts don't have calories OR fat.

    any special requests? i love the crulers- basically any cake donut- but anything from Krispe is good... but really, do you have a special request?

    but maybe we should wait and go when u get here so we can watch how they're made and get a free HOT donut.

    yep, we'll wait till u get here...


    but really, what's your fave?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like that was a close call. I admire your discipline...and it looks like things are aligning in your favor so you can continue to work on your fitness goal.

    I love Dunkin Donuts more, but KK is pretty good. My faves are Boston Creme (custard filled) and Chocolate Cake...in a pinch, I'll eat a regular creme-filled or jelly-filled donut, but they aren't my favorite.

    I'm curious to see what you say about this subject, Sean. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. KK & DD do not (let me repeat DO NOT) make real donuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :((

    fine, i won't get u donuts

    jerk.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is where to get great donuts in Fremont ...

    http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3710281999

    As the review notes, they also have great sandwiches on fresh baked bread. hmmmm I am on my way there NOW!

    ReplyDelete