Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Easter Traditions

My family doesn't have a lot of easter traditions. This of course makes up for the fact that my family has over a million Christmas traditions.

To take the place of my family, my friends and I have developed an Easter tradition that I think is really fun.

Because I was sick on Sunday, tonight we celebrated Easter. As the friendly tradition goes, we had grilled steak and grilled potato. And then we brought out the Peeps for a little fun. (Not this type of peep fun. That's just wrong)

Roasting Peeps over an open fire is one of two Peep traditions. Because Peeps are nothing but sugar, when they get in contact with open flame they sparkle and ignite. As the sugar in side of them heats up, their cute little bodies expand before finally blowing a hole in their sides (to let the steam out) and then implode on themselves. Finally, the outer shell of the Peep hardens and the inner Peep boils in a beautiful blue flame. It's poetic.

The other Peep tradition is to get two pink rabbit Peeps and put them across from each other in the microwave. Arm them with toothpicks and turn the microwave on high. As the rabbits go round and round, and expand, they dual their little wooden swords. eventually one falters and falls and dies. It's tragic, but entertaining.

These two Peep traditions is the one reason I look forward to Easter every year.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, Gu, I know. I'm not allowed to teach your kids to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love putting Peeps in the microwave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was actually thinking it might be a fun... outdoor/only at sean's house activity....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gu: If I'm going to teach your kids things they can only do at my house, I'm going to have to buy more chain saws. I didn't know there was a list I could be generating that was "stuff done with Sean". I sure hope you have boys or tomboys.

    ReplyDelete