Monday, March 17, 2008

Vacationing

When I lived in Oregon, I lived with a few guys that were divorced that looked at the future with different perspectives. One of them, Chad, had been divorced for quite sometime. After the first year of being in the dumps he decided to make a goal for his next marriage - he was going to honeymoon better the next time. He said he realized that didn't really make a marriage, but it was something to look forward to.

So over time he saved his money and checked out spots and eventually came to the conclusion that he wanted to go to Hawaii on his honeymoon. So he bought a 2 person package "Gift Certificate." And when he got remarried, that's where they went.

I tell you this because I'm trying to figure out how to plan a vacation to look forward to. Throwing all of my fears out the window I could ideally go anywhere (keeping my fears in place - I can really only go places connected by an interstate and not anywhere in the deep south. Oh an no place where they speak another language - like Canada).

I was trying to remember past vacations, to see if I could use a pro and con series of thought. (i.e. I really liked this, I didn't really like this when I went here). But truth be told, I've haven't taken the traditional vacation since high school, and those vacations usually weren't planned by me - they were planned by my girlfriend's parents. (We went to a bed and breakfast in Bodega Bay, we went to Disneyland and we spent a weekend in Discovery Bay) My normal "vacations" usually involve me driving to a friend or family members house and saying "Entertain me." (With some family members that involves physical labor).

This year I'm considering going on vacation. I have three trips planned that are like my usual vacations (I'm going to SLC some time in early May. I'm going to Provo for Memorial day Weekend, and I'll be in Wisconsin from July 3rd to the 7th.), but I think I want to go on a vacation that is a little more exotic than that. But not having a lot of experience, I'm not sure where to go. The quickest thoughts are Maui or Florida. I did think of Disneyland or a Cruise (with Disney Cruise Line) but I couldn't help but think that those two places are places you go with someone, and I'm doubtful this vacation will include that type of person.

If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Only one rule - the place must have electrical outlets so I can charge up my camera every night. (There is no vacation for photo a day.)

8 comments:

  1. Oh really? Good, you can take care of the cat Olivia and I will be gone and your brother will be at trial. You can with him to work and watch him sit at a table with twenty five other attornies. That will be entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I'm not coming to WI then. I guess I'll go to Idaho Falls that weekend instead.

    (P.S. Work on your punctuation, I thought for a moment you nemed the cat Olivia.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. u could plan another vacay to utah... we'll put on hawaiian music and serve you a drink in a coconut with an umbrella. and then we'll take you to see the scenic utah lake...

    oh did i type scenic... i meant disgusting.

    really, sean, i'm insulted that you wouldn't just plan on coming here twice! aren't i entertaining enough?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I remember correctly, GU, you spent some time on a cruise three years ago, not time with me in Idaho. (-:

    Plus, now that you are the breadwinner for your family, I thought maybe your entertaining would be limited.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol- that would have been awkward. u know that!

    oh and as far as entertaining goes... there's this cool thing where i have the weekends off... sooo....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's a vote for New York City. It's an incredible place to visit - I don't know about ever living there, but it's an experience I think everyone should have. It's just so BIG and BUSY and the buildings are so TALL...ALL CAPS for the NYC.

    That or DC.

    Or Hawaii - I don't think you could go wrong with a trip to Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can't want to go to Hawaii.

    i think the best trip in the whole world would be to come visit me.

    wait, i just checked...

    it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yet, I make plans to come visit you and you decide to go to Idaho to visit your Grandpa's grave. Oww!

    ReplyDelete