Sunday, December 7, 2008

I need a chapel

I really am the sort of guy to not recognize blessings while I have them. For example, being back in CA, I am not blessed with very many LDS friends. I foolishly did not see the blessings of having 16,000 LDS kids living in a few square miles and therefore did not build up very many strong friendships. Now, my list of LDS friends in my area could be counted on one hand.
While living in Idaho, there was this gorgeous garden near my apartment that had lush lawns and waterways. Near, there was a chapel. The chapel was open from 6 AM to 11 PM everyday. On Tuesdays around 1 PM and on Sundays all day, it was loud with people (even in hushed voicesm people are loud). But on any other day it was quiet. As you approached the doors you were reminded to silence your cell phones and to converse in whispers. Once inside - you were left to your thoughts and your own communion with the spirit.

--
I am easily distracted. Even though I have a very capable computer with a link to the LDS website; and even though I have a TV with a BYUTV connection, I still go to church to watch General Conference and Christmas Devotionals. If I stay home, I will not pay attention. I will get distracted. At the last three homes I have lived at, the addiction to TV has been rampant. In Idaho, I would come home from class and no one would be home and the TV would be on. When I lived with John, he used TV to relax and so it was on when he was home (He often didn't watch it, but would have it on as he was cooking or playing on his computer. He has a self made stressful life so I understand his need for relaxing TV). The lady I live with now turns on the TV at 6 AM and turns it off sometime around 11:30 PM. She Tivos everything so the only time it is a TV less house is when she is cooking or using the restroom.
In other words - the homes I live in our not great places to be if you are trying to avoid distractions.
--
I did not realize the blessings I had in Idaho. During the summer there were gardens to lay in and to study about God. During the other 11 months of the year in Idaho when it snows, I had the Taylor Chapel to go to. I didn't. I went to class, went to the library and went home. I rarely spent time in the Taylor using it like I should.
And now, I realize how foolish that was. It has become so hard to find a place of solace to let my soul commune with Him. I wish I knew of a chapel (like the Cathedrals of our brothers and sisters of the Catholic faith) that was open near by where I could go for silence and pondering. I wish I could have taken more from that experience in Idaho.

Often when Melinda writes she shares of how she learned this or this in her personal study. I miss having something to write back. But hopefully - some day I will find a place of solitude where I too can have reverence and time to ponder. And maybe that time - I will recognize the blessing of it and use it more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment