Thursday, December 18, 2008

Underwater Basket Weaving

I am a truest. I think that the lights on Christmas trees should be white because that is how the tradition started. Germans would bring trees in from outside and put candles on them. The little flames glowed in the dark cabins warming the tiny faces eagerly waiting around the Christmas tree, anticipating the arrival of one fat visitor from the north. Therefore, I think all Christmas trees would be white lit and not busting out in color or even fiber optics (it's a tree for crying out loud - not a disco ball.).

I'm a truest in education as well. I was all set to graduate with a degree in Sociology in 2007 when I started to fail two courses. One course was at 8 in the morning and I had a really bad cold for the first two weeks that prevented me from getting to class on time. The other class - I simply didn't like the teacher's style and I bitterly fought against his teaching. I have regretted that, but there is no way to go back and change it. In the end I dropped those two classes and then the others just didn't seem to matter. Because I was still set on graduating in July 2007, I chose a different major.

(I was dead set on July 2007 because I saw the signs and thought it would have been better to have a job prior to Jan 1 2008. It turns out I was right. I have a bunch of friends who graduated in December that have had and lost jobs because they were the last ones hired and then were layed off. I have been blessed to keep my job)

My new major is in underwater basket weaving. And keeping to my truest self, I have found a lot of controversy in my major. There are some that would tell you that the major should evolve with the times. Since we don't all still ride in horse and buggies, we shouldn't keep to the old traditions of the major. For example - Some in my field feel it is okay to use scuba equipment. They put on the gear and sink below the surface and can weave for hours. They produce these beautiful baskets worthy of huge rewards. Even some others have decided that all the water you need for an effective weave is the water to cover the basket. So some of them have gone back to weaving in kiddie pools or hot tubs where there is no holding of the breath needed as the only thing under water is the hands and the baskets. And I think this is disgracing the original form of the artwork.

Just like how too many people rely on photo shop instead of actual photography skills, I think that stepping away from the traditions will mean that we step away from the skill. Which brings me to my point. I am a truest. I think that you should keep to the original process. Get in a swimsuit, grabs some reeds, and go submerge yourself in a lake or a river or an ocean (or a pool if you have none of the before mentioned nearby - though it must be at least an 8 foot deep pool in able guarantee you aren't touching the bottom). If you need to breathe - come to the surface, but otherwise, stay below and weave. Your work may not look as pretty or well woven as those who cheated - but your sense of self and accomplishment will be worth more. Trust me. Whether it is photo a day or lighting a Christmas tree or pursuing a career as an underwater basket weaver - you will feel of more worth if you keep to the traditional ways and keep your skills polished.

(For the record - my official degree is in University Studies.)

No comments:

Post a Comment