Friday, December 29, 2006

my food intake

I have a Hiatal Hernia. I've had it for about 4 years now (off topic - but I've owned my truck for 5 years as of Sunday. 123,000 miles later it's still doing good). It has been a long process getting used to changing my diet. I am often asked what exactly I can and cannot have. I recently found this list on a GERD website. Let's start here:

citrus fruits
chocolate
drinks with caffeine
fatty and fried foods
garlic and onions
mint flavorings
spicy foods
tomato-based foods, like spaghetti sauce, chili, and pizza

Additionally I have found that I can't have spicy food, a lot of Chinese food, or carbonation beverages. Occasionally you will see me eating chocolate or drinking Cherry Coke. I have learned how to tolerate these and how to get my body to accept them (early in the day and in small portions).

There are three other foods that I consider to be of the Devil:
raisins
pickles
raw bananas (I'll eat dried bananas just fine without throwing up, and banana bread is my third favorite type of bread.)

With these food challenges, I have two other challenges - to eat better and to exercise more. To eat better I turn here.

So there you have it. If you are ever hosting me or trying to feed me - there is my guideline.

2 comments:

  1. That's Right! Good one.

    I can't have pineapple either - it upsets my stomach.

    ReplyDelete