Monday, October 30, 2006

It is time for a change

This has been brewing for a while. Recently DB suggested that I need to look at my belief system and see if I need changes.

In 2003 my mother died. In a quick move, I went to BYU-Idaho. I was an Elementary Education major. After 2 months of school, I dropped out of that major, as I was not handling the idea of Special education while dealing with the death of my mother. In Fall 2004, I dropped out of school and took a 6-month vacation from school (and life). The diagnosis of three counselors was “delayed grieving.” The only reason I went back to school was because BYU-Idaho said I wasn’t going to be allowed back in if I didn’t come back in summer of 2005.

Since July 2004, I’ve had 7 official majors with a total of 14 majors (I got to the point that I didn’t ask, I’d just change majors). I was never happy in a major. I found several majors I wasn’t happy with…and I found myself constantly leaning back to one aspect of my life. There was always one topic that kept my interest. There is one topic that I have always scored well in.

California, Utah and a few other major states have created Autistic Only schools. I was happiest in my life when I was teaching. I have continued to work with people with disabilities and I have found a great joy in that type of lifestyle.

This desire to teach has led me on a quest. BYU-I has a K-3 special ed program that is pretty exclusive to Idaho. So I looked elsewhere. University of Idaho in Moscow has a K-12 program. Utah State University also has a K-12 program. Cal State Hayward (I mean East Bay) does as well. All of those K-12 programs are universal, meaning I could teach anywhere in the continental United States. There is a special education Teacher shortage through out the US, as well. And this is something I’m good at. There is a saying "Autism has its own language." I have learned I speak Autism. I additionally work well with people that are mentally and physically disabled.

In my research I have found a few qualifiers. Most Special Ed programs are 60 credit degrees (some are 48). Pell Grants and Stafford Loans run out at 180 credits. I will have in December 119 credits (Total from Ohlone College, LMC, DVC, and BYUI).

Additionally I have found out that Stafford and Pell Grants are only for your first Bachelors. According to the Financial Aid people, there is a possibility of a 12-month loan after petition and a good GPA (which I don’t have) for a second bachelor, but they are not as likely.

I found out that there are loan forgiveness programs available to those that become Special Education Teachers. Up to $17,000. It won’t cover it all, but it will cover some.

I think that I’ve done my homework effectively and done enough. Now comes the big decision. Should I change course? Should I leave BYU-I? Should I do it without a degree (My options at this point are a degree in University Studies which is practically worthless, though not entirely)? Should I stay? Are there things I haven’t considered? Is my father going to kill me if I do this?

7 comments:

  1. By the way...I've changed dad's gf to DB. Okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was wondering who this new DB chick was-

    for what it's worth... i think there's something to be said about having a major other than university studies when you're graduating with so many credits... but perhaps more important is that you go for it... get all this out of your system and live it up until marriage forces you into being settled

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forget about the loans for a minute... yes I know it's hard because you hate debt..with good reason... if you have 119 credits, can't you put those to use under the degree you want or is it because you didn't major in sp.edu?
    How much longer would it take for you to get the bachelors??

    ReplyDelete
  4. It depends on what you define as a bachelors? A bachlors in generals would equate to July 18. But that degree is almost worthless.

    A degree in Communicatons, English, etc. 2-4 more semesters.

    A degree (at another University) would take 18 months...

    Let me also throw into here a reminder that BYU-Idaho has a credit cap (One of the rare schools in the country that has one.) After 140 credits they ask you to leave. So in a semester and a half - I'm gone anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad has suggested I take a year off. I mention this here for further discussion.

    I'm not sure I would return again to school if I took a year off. It took a lot of courage for me to come to school the first time. It is no secret that I love work over school. But I doubt I would return.

    That said, I don't think I'm unhappy. I think quite the opposite. I have been volunteering working with elementary students this semester. Just being allowed to, my friends have said they are impressed with my measured improvement in happiness. I really like teaching. I like being in a classroom. I don't think I'm unhappy - I think I'm finally in a place to be truly happy again. And that's important to me.

    I'm not sure a year off would help that. Because in just over a year - I could be teaching.

    Every strong interest survey I've taken has suggested teaching. Every time they need a teacher in church they call me. ZEverytime I'm asked to teach in a class or do a oral presentation - I excell. I enjoy teaching and I feel this is my best course.

    Does anyone else think I need a year off?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think you need a year off (sorry Dad)- If you've found what's going to REALLY make you happy- i say GO FOR IT and get it as soon as you can- oh, and move here to utah, USU will work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. USU is one option. I'd be out of state, but I would be with friends and family near by.

    U of i is the other option. It would be cheaper, but I'd be farther from any friends or family and Ithink that could be dangerous to my well being.

    I'm applying to both (because I don't see a problem in applying. Even if I get accepted - I can still defer or decide not to go.)

    But I agree with Gu: This is what I want and i'm not sure a year off will help.

    ReplyDelete