Thursday, September 6, 2007

Meatloaf Mom

I don't know how to state this (I'm not as good with words as some people), but I've grown comfortable with my mom being dead. She was in pain, she went to a better place, and while I know I don't appreciate it, it's for her betterment. But every now and then I feel the pinch of heartache when I need a mom and I don't have one.

John and I are supposed to have meatloaf tonight. It's my night to cook and so I went to my file folder of recipes and pulled out a note I have from my mom for meatloaf. On the front it has:

Mix together meat, 1egg, 1/2 cup of milk and 16 crackers. Plus onion (lots) and seasoning. Put in pan & cover with tomato sauce. Cook same as potatoes.

On the back it's blank. There are no times listed, or degrees or any of it. I looked on Gu's cookbook blog for a similar recipe and couldn't find it. I tried the google, but I lost out there too. 5 years ago I would have just simply picked up the phone and called my mother. But I can't do that any more. These are the moments when I miss my mom the most. I think we're having hamburgers instead tonight.

3 comments:

  1. You can call me! I certainly cannot cover all of your mom bases, but meatloaf I can handle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hamburgers were just fine....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually the Dal Burgers were great! I wish I could get the level of BBQ sauce right but they were still good.

    ReplyDelete