Monday, November 5, 2007

Faith

The fine people at Fancy Simple have posted another challenge - one that I think about constantly. My Sister-in-law has asked me to attempt more postings at Fancy Simple and so this week I'm going to make an attempt.

The challenge specifically for today is to post our favorite quote on faith. There are so many to choose from, but my mind immediately goes to the apostle Paul and his writings to the Hebrews in which he says: "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

There is so much that I have Faith in, but the most central to me I think is the faith I have that I will see my mother again some day and that my family will be one eternal organization.

4 comments:

  1. Great quote Sean! I think that we want faith to have a deeper meaning than hope, but in the end that is all it is, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Hope is the final step of faith. Because once faith is actualized it is n longer faith. I hope each day the sun will rise. I hope each day that my family will be okay (the cutest niece in the world will remain the cutest; that my old man will survive another day of reckless driving; that my brother and his wife will remain a happily married couple - these are all things I hope for and have faith in. And at the end of every day I see my hope and faith come to actualization. O is still the cutest niece. My father still breathes on. Chad loves you more today than he did yesterday. My faith is no longer faith at that point - it is a fact. I know it and no longer have to hope for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I love most about faith is that it is a word of action. Faith is what propels a person to act, and acting is what life is all about. It is in our acting and striving to be like the Lord that we find the joy in life. If it were not for our faith we would not act, and if we did not act we would not live. Faith is what gives us the ability to and carry out a choice. If we have faith in the right thing and center out lives on faith in Christ then we are more likely to choose the things that will bring meaning and Joy into our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean,

    Thank you for posting. I agree that the difference between faith and hope is significant. Faith is have a peace in your heart that what you believe is "true". Hope is optimism and a little more blind, in my opinion, than faith.

    I like the phrase eternal organization - very seemless sounding!

    ReplyDelete