Thursday, April 3, 2008

Memoirs of a Gym Member - On the DL

On Tuesday, on Brad's advice, I started working my upper body and not just by swimming. On Wednesday morning I woke up in SEVERE pain in my left shoulder area (The pain was in my right shoulder as well, but not as bad). So I skipped the gym that day to give me a day of rest.

This morning I woke up in even more pain so I started asking around at work and was told that I probably over (or hyper) extended some muscles. I was advised to stay out f the gym for a while, take ibuprofen and use a heat/ice therapy. I had an appointment already to see my massage therapist tonight and so I had her look at it as well. She spent about 30 seconds on it before she repeated exactly what the therapists at work said. She STRONGLY advised ice and heat and to wrap my shoulder for a few days. She said it might even be a week before I can go back to the gym for upper body stuff. So I am putting myself on the disabled list for upper body gym stuff. I'm hopefully going to go to the gym on Friday and ride a recumbent cycle for 30 minutes just to exercise my legs (I might even do some of those exercises that makes me feel like I'm at an OBGYN appointment), but for now the shoulder is off limits.

This will probably delay my move for a few weeks, but I'm patient. Having a working shoulder is more important to me right now.

(Some of you might be asking why I take the advice of my massage therapist so accurately. She was a personal trainer for a while before getting into massage. She is using massage to pay her way through school to get a pre-professional degree in Physical Therapy at which point she will go to PT stuff. She carries a pretty good GPA and really knows her stuff. Therefore I trust what she says.)

No comments:

Post a Comment