Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Night at the ballpark

Tonight my Dad and I went to an Oakland A's Baseball game. This is a family tradition that dates back t my boyhood. If we did nothing else, my father made a point of taking my brother and I to a ball game or three every season. That said, the tradition is also that we go on a night that has discounted tickets, like tonight. Our seats were $2 a piece with $1 hot dogs. (Which I bought 4 of and gave my dad one). At the beginning of the game we were way out between right field and center field and we weren't able to see anything after the ball flew deep enough. Oh, and the wind was really breezy and the stadium offered little protection. So at the top on the third we moved to a spot just a little left of home plate. (The above picture was taken from our new spot. The arrow in the picture points to where we were.)

At the top of the 4th I went to go buy hot dogs and got back in time for the top of the 5th. As we are sitting there eating hot dogs, the Twins are up to bat and a player bats the ball foul a few sections over. A few pitches later, the batter pops the ball up near us. As my dad sat like a deer caught in the stadium lights I leaped over him in a single bound. The ball landed 4 chairs right of my father. I cleared my father and dove for the ball. I got to it after it bounced once off the chair, but before it bounced into the hands of the guy that shoved me while trying to get to it before me. So for my first time in my life - I am the owner of a professional baseball used for three pitches including a fastball that gave the batter just enough force to get it up to me.
If I was across the bay, I would know what to do with it. I'd put an astrick on it sell it on e-bay. However, being here, I will probably just photograph the hell out of it and share it with a cute little lady in my life who loves baseball about as much as my brother and her father does.

8 comments:

  1. That's so cool! I'm jealous...I wish we had a major league team here (so I could see games now)...I don't feel like driving to SLC for minor league, and the Owlz don't start playing till June. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was out in the yard with Alex perfecting her stance and "batting face" just today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good catch!

    Put an ampersand on it. The asterisk has been done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my baseball foo is weak

    why the * or ~

    ???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marc Ecko marked Barry Bond's record breaking ball with an asterisk and sent it to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The closest I ever came to catching a foul ball was at a brewers game a few years back. The ball came at a high arc to my outstretched hand. I touched it with the tips of my fingers, and probably could have wrapped the fingers around for a catch. But in the instant I touched it, I had second thoughts given the ball's likely velocity and my desire to keep my fingers unbroken.

    So I let it go.

    It ended up a few rows behind me, where a dad snagged it and gave it to his kid. So all ended up as it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. see, that's what I wanted to do. I wanted to give it to a little kid but there weren't any around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Then give it to a rich designer. It's the next best thing.

    ReplyDelete