Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Patrol Sean

---
Disclaimer One

I am an Eagle Scout. I finished up the requirements to be an Eagle 3 hours before the office closed before I turned 18. I was a boy scout for the better of 6 years and was a weblo scout and a cub scout before that. Scouting is something I naturally enjoy. I give this as a disclaimer to the rest of my post.
---
In scouting the boys are divided up into the simplest of organizations. A Scout is a individual scout first, who will always be prepared and do a good turn daily. Following this, a scout is a member of a patrol. Several patrols make up a troop. Several troops make up a counsel. For example: as a kid I was Sean, Bears, Troop 131, Mission Peak Counsel.

Patrols are an intragal part of scouting. Each patrol is where a boy becomes close friends with his other scouters and a bond is formed. For example, one time I was part of a patrol with my brother and four other young men. We were called "The Purple Euphoriacs." (A name my brother suggested.) I'm still on fairly good terms with each of these men.

In a patrol, there are certain things you must have. You must have a name, a cheer, a song, and a flag. It's helpful to have a badge as well, but not necessary. We were the Purple Euphoriacs. Our Cheer was repeating our name three times getting louder each time. Our song was similar to our cheer in that we repeated our name three times, but it was set to music and we then laughed at the end as if in a drug induced euphoria. Our flag had a big smiling face on it where the smile kept going around and around in a circle that resembled the rings on a 100 year old tree. We did not have a badge.

---
Disclaimer Two
All of the before mentioned was setting up for this: I tend to run my relationships like I would run a patrol and am very unsettled when a relationship is missing either the name, cheer, song, or flag. Each part is critically important in my mind.
---
The Name
When a relationship is first getting started, I am often introduced as "My boyfriend." This is a pleasing title, but it usually goes to people seeing us together and saying "There goes Catherine and her boyfriend." There really is no unity in that, mainly because it is applicable to any situation Catherine is in where she is with a boy. I love it when friends on both sides of the fence have decided to get to know the prospective mate enough that it is "There goes Nina & Sean" or "There goes Sean and Nina." Either way, the relationship has a name. It's the Nina and Sean Relationship.

The Song
Choosing a song in a relationship is important and has a lot of factors to consider. First of all it is important to find a song that speaks to your relationship. For example, Nina lives far away from me so we could have "Plain White T's" as our song. Nina has brown eyes occasionally (according to her), so we could have "brown eyed girl". However neither seems to fit, so we are still trying to find a song.
Secondly the song must be a song you are willing to bring you up or destroy you for the rest of your life. While in high school I dated a girl and our song for 2 years was "I'll Stand By You". After we broke up, I had to rid my life of that song. I eventually turned to Rap and country as those were the only two stations that didn't play the song. I slowly (very slowly) came around to that being a good song that I could listen to without thinking horrible thoughts about my wench of an ex-girlfriend.
Lastly, it kind of has to be a slow song. In theory (except at my wedding), this song will be the first song you dance to at your wedding. One of Krista and I's songs (we dated for over two years and had a plethora of songs that were "our" song) was Mama Mia (the version from the play/musical). I doubt we could have danced slowly to that song.

Cheer
The cheer in a relationship is important but it isn't the same type of cheer you have in scouting. A cheer born out of a patrol usually has some sort of inside meaning. I was once part of a patrol called the Marley Nachos. Our patrol had a cheer that really only meant something to those of us that were Mormon living in Fremont CA. No one else really understood our cheer which was fine by us.
On a similar vain, for me a relationship needs to have and inside joke. Krista and I had rats, watermelon, and origami shell fish. Catherine and I had my truck. The second Jessica I dated (whom my friends used to call "suck face") and I had X-Men. They are all little things that only I and my girlfriend understand. The world out there could say something and we would look at each other and smile. We smiled at the inside stories that went along with what was happening.

The Flag
The flag was a symbol of your patrol. When people see your flag they know who you are. A flag also allows people to know you are there. When first arriving to summer camp (or as my mom called it - vacation), the first thing a patrol would do was place its flag out in front of its campsite. This signaled the other patrols and troops that the Purple Euphoriacs were at camp.

A flag in a relationship is a symbol of sorts to others that an exchange is going on between loved ones. Catherine used to poster gold stars all over my house when I wasn't home. Krista used to put up multi colored hearts on my garage and all over my house. Lanae used to gives bags of Hersey kisses to one of my teachers and I would get it two periods later. These were our flags.

All of this preceding was to answer a few of your questions. The answers are as follows:

Name: The Nina and Sean Relationship
Song: Pending
Cheer: Eyebrows, funner and anyways
Flag: A thimble (as can be seen in PAD shots here and here)

2 comments:

  1. That was a RAD post. A neat glimpse into the life and loves of Sean...very cool.

    Someday, when I have a laptop with a wireless card, I'll be a more consistent blogger and be able to write posts like these. Maybe. Or, I'll just be more consistent. Yeah, let's not get ahead of ourselves with crazy goal-setting just yet.

    I had to scrape my windows for the first time this year this morning. Bet you wish you were here! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll believe dun when i see it.

    maybe someday if i'm lucky he can write sweet posts like this about our "Relationship"

    but let's not get ahead of ourselves with crazy goal-setting just yet.

    ReplyDelete