Friday, October 19, 2007

Where I stand

It has been a very busy week, so I haven't been responding to e-mails as much as others would like me to. But a bulk of the e-mails have been around what is to follow.

I'm still unemployed. To become a teacher is not an instant thing and there are hoops to jump through. I'm in the process of jumping through those hoops. Heres the hoops:

1. Pass the CSET & CEBEST. I took the CSET that takes the place of both the standard CSET and also the CBEST. It was a 4 part test. I found out on the 9th of October that I passed at least three out of 4 of them. On the 15th I found out I passed the 4th test. That allowed me to proceed forward.

2. Apply to Project Pipeline. I found out late on Monday about finally getting through hoop 1. So on Wednesday was the earliest I could make it to Sacramento to drop off my application. I did so on Wednesday. Now my application will be reviewed and I should know by Tuesday whether or not I can get the go-ahead from PP to proceed. If they say they are going to take me, they will mail me a letter that I can then take to districts that say I'm part of an intern program.

--I'm to this Point --

3. Apply to Districts. At this point, there are very few districts still advertising openings for Mild to Moderate Special Education Teachers. There are three districts I'm going to apply to as soon as I get the go-ahead letter from PP. In the meantime, for the last two days I have been scanning documents preparing for the day I get to apply. I had to put all of my transcripts, CSET scores, letters of recommendation, resume, and various other forms into PDF format so that they can be uploaded to the Online application process. Aggravating frustrating work.

4. Interviewed/Offering. Once I apply then I will need to be interviewed by each district and then offered a position.

5. Fingerprint, background check, TB test. After a position is offered I will need to be fingerprinted to see if I'm a felon. Next they will do a short background check to double check that I'm not a criminal. Then they will have me give them proof that I don't have TB (which for me means that I will have to get a chest x-ray. Yes, Nina dear, at some point I will glow in the dark).

6. Pre-service. Prior to getting into a classroom, though, I will have to go through a 120 hour state mandated pre-service training where they will teach me stuff I already know.

7. Finally I'll be in a classroom. And trust me - I will e-mail all of you and tell all of you. I promise.

-0-0-0-

On a different note, I got an e-mail today telling me that I have an interview with the county of Contra Costa County to be a Therapy Aide for a PT/OT clinic ran by the county. It pays 4 dollars an hour less and has less hours than a teaching job, but it doesn't have 40 hoops to jump through to get to it. Yippee!

1 comment:

  1. good luck with all the hoop-jumping... thanks for the update! it was good to see where you're at

    (p.s. yes, i just ended that sentance with a preposition... i'm from idaho, get used to it)

    ReplyDelete