Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Remembering

Today is my parents' wedding anniversary. I feel a need to remind myself of that or I'm some how letting my mother die that much more. I no longer get emotionally scarred when her birthday or death day come. In fact, for the most part, I don't often think about her birthday. But today, for some reason, I always feel the need to tell someone, anyone, that today is my parents anni.

Prior to 2003, I always thought of celebrating October 31 for different reasons. the 31st of October is traditionally a Lutheran Holiday. That is the day that Martin Luther went to a Catholic church in Germany and nailed to the door his list of problems with the Catholic Church. He did this on Hallows Eve because he knew that everyone who is anyone would be at the cathedral the next day for all saints day. I dated a Lutheran girl for several years and her church always had a HUGE party on Halloween because for them - it was independence day. Since dating that girl, I've always continued to celebrate not only the pagan holiday, but also the Lutheran one as well.

But for the last 4 years, this day has continued to grow in what I can't help but think of but as a day of remembrance and appreciation. Because of choices my parents made today in 1970, I am a member of an awesome family with an awesome father, mother and brother.

My mother was working retail and October 31st was the last day she could get off from work prior to the holiday season and wouldn't be available for marriage until after February some time. My father had stuff going on up to the 30th of October and so the 31st was the day that was chosen. And in an LDS church in southern California my parents were married. My dad's parents were there as were two of my parents' friends. Oh, and the bishop. That was it. Small and intimate. (I think this is why I crave small weddings and eloping)

A few years after that marriage they decided to have my brother. Then they decided to have me.

So I need to say this, just so that my mother doesn't die inside of me any more today:

Happy 37th Anniversary Mom and Dad!

4 comments:

  1. i think that's really cool- thank you for sharing. I don't think i would have otherwise connected so much to the day. I hope that u don't keep me out of the loop when u decide to have that "small wedding" but i'll respect your wishes if you do (meaning i won't prank call your hotel room a million times on your wedding night)

    you're welcome in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey I think small and intimate weddings are fine. I just realize that you and I have a different idea of what small and intimate is...lol.
    I am still sad that I won't get to meet your Mom even if we don't get married. I love hearing about her, and hope you will share more stories with me. She has helped make you the wonderful man I love, and for that I will always owe her. Can't wait to see you in 16 days (but who's counting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the note. I celebrated our Wedding Anniversary this year the same way we did for years - helping little people have a great time. When we married on that day in 1970, it was the only day for 5 months when your mom and I could both be available in the middle of the day. Between college and working full time, we only saw each other at odd times of the day. We never imagined that after we had kids, our anniversary would have to be celebrated a few days after or before the real date because on the real day we would be working at either the school or church Halloween party. This year, I attended my 3 yo granddaughter's school party and in the evening went out with her to gather vast quantities of High Fructose Corn Syrup (pure poison) from the neighbors - most of which she will never see since I will probably eat the chocolate to "save" her from the evil effects. For those that are wondering, I went as a "grouchy grandpa." One of the great by-products of getting married on a holiday is the store advertisements made it much easier for me to remember. Of course, I still tended to wait until the last minute to pick up her gift. I still miss the wonderful woman who raised you and your brother to be such a great people.

    ReplyDelete