Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I'm perfect.

For the past two days, I've been talking with USU about their Rehab program. I e-mailed them. They e-mailed me. I e-mailed them and lastly, they e-mailed me.

I initially e-mailed them a request for program information. This is the response I got:

Dear Sean,

Thank you for your interest in the Rehabilitation Counselor Education distance program at Utah State University. I will forward your e-mail to the RCE secretary and she will send you an information packet. In the meantime, you can find most of the information you need about our program here. You may also start your on-line application to USU's graduate school here

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

This is my response:

I have tried to find a list of prerequisites for the program. I have seen the 3.0 GPA requirement, the letters of reference, but there doesn't seem to be a list of classes I would need to get into the program. Is there such a list and where can I view it?

Thank you,
Sean

They wrote back to say:

Good morning Sean,

There are no prerequisites to get into this program. It is inclusive. We accept any undergraduate degree. However, there are some degrees that are better preparation than others, such as sociology, psychology, health science, communication disorders, or special education.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

I wrote back to say:

Is there a profile of an ideal candidate for your program? Do you prefer experience or education?
For example, I taught Special Education for 8 years as an assistant. I am a psychology major with 1/2 of a minor in sociology (the other half is in literature). I've worked for two rehabilitation councilors and currently work for a therapeutic recreation leadership councilor. As I prepare for your program - is there an area I need to focus on to become your ideal candidate?

Thank you,
Sean

Their last e-mail was as such:

We don't have a profile of an ideal candidate. Actually, you sound ideal. I'd recommend that you simply follow the procedure to apply for our program and graduate school.

If you'd like to talk to one of our professors, you might contact Dr. Julie XXXXX, our program director. She can answer any specific questions that you may have much better than I can. I've CCed her on this e-mail so you can find her address there, or her phone # is 435-XXX-XXXX.

Thanks again for your interest in our program.

In other words - I'm perfect, at least to be a rehab councilor.

2 comments:

  1. I won't tell you I told you so, but when you were visiting this weekend I strongly implied that you should attend USU.... I hope it all works out peachy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I have a lot to do to attend USU. I looked into it for 2 reasons:

    1. I really liked Utah this past week. I know I could live there and succeed, at least for 4 semesters.

    2. My father brought up an interesting point. Ocassionally you need to buy a name. Two of the schools I'm looking atr are "no name" schools. I'll get a quality education from them, but finding reasonably good work afterwards might not be as possible. USU is a school with a good reputation. If I graduate from there, I'll be able to find good paying work afterwards. And that's really my goal. I must be able to:
    A. Support my family.
    B. Pay off my student loans.
    C. Have a freaking awesome home entertainment center.
    D. Have money to get my Doctorate if I decide to go that way.

    USU would help me achieve those goals better than the no-name colleges I'm looking at.

    I just need to get my GPA up to get there.

    ReplyDelete