Monday, March 13, 2006

More adventures in food - the fish

In the last 10 years I've had fish three times. Every time was with KNJ.

As I now work at a grocery store in the meat department and as I'm now trying to be more adventerous in my eating habits, I'm trying different tyes of food.

Tonight for dinner I tried yet another adventure. I had fish from Gorton's. It was two Pollock fillets coated in italian herb seasoning. (I would have gotten a fillet from the service counter, but I'm having problems getting a book and a pair of sweats back from KNJ. Getting recipes out of her...I can only imagine). It didn't taste that bad. John and KNJ used to tell me that the sause or seasoning is key. If that is the case, Goton did a good job seasoning. I'd be willing to try it again or something else with fish. However, that said, I'm not really into the whole breaded thing, and a lot of what we sell is breaded fish.

(For those keeping score at home)
Sushi - check - approved
Peanut Butter - Check - approved
Banana - Check - yucky
Fish (Pollock) - Check - not that bad

8 comments:

  1. go for the salmon...it's definitely all about the salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't seriously eat frozen fish from a box, did you? You poor boy! You need someone to come and cook for you! Get yourself a nice salmon filet and broil it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm not a fish fanatic either. I would NEVER try sushi! ProvoPR on the other hand LOVES seafood, so every now and again i take a little nibble of whatever he is having and it reminds me how chewy most seafood is and i'm good for a while. Fish has never been my cup of tea, but i'm just the opposite of you, if it's breaded i can choke it down... prolly just because i have a fettish for deep fried food :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splatts:

    I would love some Salmon, but the only person I know that can cook it well hates my guts and probably won't give me the recipe. (Figuring she won't give back my book or sweats.)
    If you would like me to eat salmon, go talk to her and see if she has the recipe. (I wouldn't mention the book or the sweats.)

    S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baking the salmon at a high temperature gives it a thick, crunchy crust. Bok choy, also known as Chinese cabbage, is a mild, quick-cooking green.

    Ingredients

    1 tablespoon butter
    2 pounds salmon fillet, cut into 4 portions
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 1/2 pounds bok choy, cut into 1 1/2" pieces
    1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
    1/4 cup roasted red peppers, patted dry
    1/4 cup mild chunky salsa

    Directions

    1. Heat oven to 475°F. Place olive oil and butter in a skillet large enough to hold fish in a single layer. Place in oven 3 minutes, until butter is melted.

    2. Season fish with salt and pepper. Place fish flesh side down in prepared skillet. Bake 10 minutes, turning carefully once halfway through cooking time, until just cooked through. Remove from skillet; tent with foil.

    3. Add bok choy and lemon peel to skillet. Stir to coat with pan's oil. Place in oven 1 minute, until leaves are wilted and stems are warmed through.

    4. To make purée, blend peppers and salsa in a blender 30 seconds. Divide greens on four plates; top each with a piece of fish. Dollop purée over fish.

    YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you come home... if you would like, I will grill some salmon for you... I have an indoor and an outdoor grill... yum..yum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you remember that red grill KNJ's Grandpa gave me? The one I've tried like three times to get rid of and it's still "mine"...

    Well it's still here and tomorrow my boss is going to cut me a salmon fillet and I'm going to use Katie's recipe on the grill. Because Tuesday is the first day of spring so it's the begining of grilling season. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Or maybe not...it snowed all day Friday and Saturday. oh well. I'll try fish the first Saturday in April.

    ReplyDelete