Sunday, March 12, 2006

The journey

For some reason, I really like the joy of a long distance road trip. This is a concept lost on my sister who flies every where and offeres every year to fly me out to Wisconsin instead of having me drive for 2 or 3 days. She sees my trip as a destination and I see it as a journey. The adventure for me is in the adventure of the sights you see while traveling down the road at 70 MPH, not through the air at 300 MPH. This is also one of the times when my father and I are at our best - as friends - on the open road. I just love the journey.

I find this a lot in my life. A few years ago, my best friend JPF killed a car of his. It was actually impounded by the police for missing a tail pipe. At the time, my father owned a VW Quantum. My father had blown the head gasket on the car and had taken apart the engine, but not gotten any further on it. When JPF killed his car, my father and I got together and decided to fix his Quantum and give it to JPF. It was a lot of fun working with my dad to get that car's engine going again. Once the project was complete wasn't as satisfying as was working on the project together. The journey, not the destination.

Now days in my life I am on two journeys. One is a journey of self. I'm in Idaho discovering who I am. I'm discovering my "religion" as Dr. Peck refers to it as:

"...Consequently, among the members of the human race there exists an extraordinary breadth and sophistication of our understanding of what life is about. This understanding is our Religion....And to make matters worse, most of us are not even fully aware of our own world views, much less of the experience from which they are derived....One of our problems is that very few of us have developed any distinctive personal life. Everything about us seems secondhand, even our emotions."

This is my journey. It frustrates my father to no end that I'm on this journey. He would just like me to figure out what and who I am in life and move on with it. Destination. But this journey is so important. I need to know now who and what I am before I can go anywhere. So who I am changes regularily. The graduate degree from last semester may not be the graduate degree I want next semester. The world view I had yesterday migh be different tomorrow depending on what I experience today. It's in the journey.
Some days I hate this journey, but I know it's important.

The other journey I'm on is less serious. I'm a builder. I like working with my hands. My father and I were drawing up plans to build a tear drop trailer when I got accepted at BYU-Idaho. I've since decided I no longer want to travel the US with a trailer. Maybe I'll own a tear drop some day, but it's not as important.
However, I still feel the need to work with my hands. ~Gu~ wants me to build her a bed frame in a few weeks which won't be that hard. I'll copy the design my father built my bed out of. (It will be easy if they own a circular saw. It will take longer with the hand saw.)
Additionally, I'm in the process of building a plane. A remote control plane. But this will soon be done and I will need a new project.

I will post later what I wish my next journey of a project would be...

2 comments:

  1. In my defense, I think it is crazy for you to take a minimum of four days to drive when you could be spending them here dancing with your niece. But it's your vacation to be crazy with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is quite the dancer for that matter.

    ReplyDelete