Sunday, March 19, 2006

Who thinks this crap up?

Tonight for dinner I had baked potato, BBQ (via Gearge Foreman) Steak (marinated in this GREAT marinade), a side of pasta, and a bowl of ice cream. It was freaking awesome.

My title comes from breakfast, though. I have German Pancakes every now and then for breakfast. It's from a recipe that KNJ gave me. (Which oddly enough, I don't remember her being German. Jewish heritage yes. She's from New Zealand I thought...but I digress). Anyway - the recipe is 6 eggs, 1 cup of milk, 1cup of flour, and a half of stick of butter. You blend the first three in a blender. You put the butter in the pan, and put the pan into the oven while you "pre-heat" the oven. Then you pour the batter into the pan and cook for 15 minutes. It tastes lovely.

But here is my question...who thinks this stuff up? What German house wife was sitting in her hut one day and said:

"Hmmm..I've got 6 eggs, a cup of milk, and 1 cup of flower. What am I going to cook for breakfast? Wait!! I know, I'll wait until the day they invent the blender and I'll Blend it all together and make....something. Now what should I can it? Oh I know! 'Helga's eggs'. Wait no. How about 'German Pancakes'? Yeah - that's it - 'German Pancakes.' "

The closest I come to creating recipe's is "Hmm...today I've got some rice and some peanut butter...no, I'll go to Sonic."

10 comments:

  1. German Pancakes

    Blend the following in a blender:
    1 cup milk
    1 cup flour
    6 eggs

    1/4 cup butter melt in 9"X13" pan
    Pour batter into hot butter
    (cool pan slightly so pan won't break)

    Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes
    (Different ovens might be different tempature or time)

    ReplyDelete
  2. every now and again i get lucky with recipies while i'm cooking... mostly with cooking techniques or casseroles or even the occasional sub ... i could never make up anything as involved as cookies or cake or brownies or whatever... usually for me it's more of a... i think i'll alter the frosting to add thiss... or this... you catch my drift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no sugar in the recipe? Doesn't it taste kind of bland?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's what the syrup is for. It tastes salty at times, but no - not bland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use that same recipe (but cut in half), except I don't put syrup on it. Instead, I sprinkle on lemon juice and some powdered sugar on the top. You could also cook it with some raisins inside for some more flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are few things in life I hate more than Raisins. I belive pickles are a creation of the Devil himself and while he was at it, the devil said - "Hey let's make raisins to torchure Sean."

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is it with you two and the raisins? Your brother hates them more than anything, and your brother is the best eater I know. Your mother must have put them in your birthday cakes as children or something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Raisins, pickles and bananas = Devil's torchure devices.

    ReplyDelete
  9. German Pancakes are also really really yummy with apple slices in it. core the apple, and then slice it thinly, put it on the bottom, but on top of the melted butter, and on pour the batter on top of that.....sooooo yummy.

    ReplyDelete